Visian ICL and LASIK Comparison for Moderate to High Myopia
A study entitled Comparison of Implantable Contact Lens and Laser Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis for Moderate to High Myopia conducted by the Center for Clinical Research features a two-year clinical study comparing the results of Visian ICL and LASIK corrective eye surgery. It reports the following:
- The Visian ICL creates favourable outcomes in stability and provides high-quality vision even to those patients requiring high corrections.
- The Visian ICL has some advantages over LASIK; the patient’s pupil size is less important and a patient doesn’t need to have thick corneas to successfully undergo myopia treatment with the Visian ICL.
- Since the Visian ICL allows for corrective eye surgery with no permanent structural change to the cornea, it can be removed if the patient dislikes the results – an option not available to LASIK patients.
- The Visian ICL offers the moderate to highly myopic patient a viable alternative to corneal laser refractive surgery. ¹
The discussion in the report states that the “dramatic improvement of the Visian ICL over the LASIK procedure is not unexpected since it is more accurate to manufacture the exact correction with a lens implant than to ablate the correction onto the corneal tissue, which is then subject to corneal healing. This is especially dramatic in view of the fact that 23% of the LASIK cases required enhancement surgery compared with only 4.3% in the ICL cases.
Visian ICL Myopia Research
This FDA approved research shows that Visian ICL corrective procedures are safe and effective for treatment of myopia. Research has also shown that Visian ICL provides clear advantages over other surgical procedures such as PRK or Lasik. These advantages include a lower chance of unwanted visual distortions known as higher order aberrations, low risk of complications, predictable outcomes, and excellent vision correction results. The Visian ICL procedure has shown some advantages over PRK and LASIK corrective laser eye surgery, and can improve the vision of those who may not be good LASIK candidates.
Professionals wishing to learn more about the Visian ICL clinical results in patients with mild, moderate, or severe myopia should contact STAAR® Surgical Company.
- Sanders DR, Vukich JA. Comparison of implantable contact lens and laser assisted in situ keratomileusis for moderate to high myopia. J. Cornea Ext Dis, 2003;22(4):324-331